The last couple days I have been doing some batch cooking to fill up my freezer with tasty, low-carb meals and snacks. Since mornings can be a hectic time for many people, my family included, I decided to start with a breakfast recipe. Before I started this low-carb WOE, I would spend a day baking a bunch of different muffins to freeze and they worked great as an on-the-go breakfast when paired with some fruit. Because this worked so well in the past, I wanted to create a muffin recipe that was tasty and still low in carbs. I came up with this chocolate chunk coconut muffin:
These muffins are not that sweet, but they were approved by all three of my kids 🙂 Each muffin has 7.8g. net carbs, compared to the 49.74g. net carbs that a medium sized commercially-prepared chocolate chip muffin contains! The recipe makes 12 muffins but can be doubled if you want to freeze some.
Low-Carb Chocolate Chunk Coconut Muffins
- 1 cup Hazelnut Meal/Flour
- 1/3 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Splenda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 squares 70% cacao dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and oil a muffin tin or line with muffin papers.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the hazelnut flour, coconut flour, coconut flakes, salt, Splenda, baking soda, & baking powder.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with the coconut oil, apple sauce, & almond milk.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- On a cutting board, chop the chocolate squares into small pieces, about pea size.
- Add the chocolate chunks to the batter and stir until mixed throughout.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes or until tops are springy when touched and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin tin for 10 minutes.
- Serving Size 1 muffin
- Calories 153, Calories from Fat 97,
- Total Fat 10.8g, Saturated Fat 8.1g, Trans Fat 0.0g
- Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 190mg, Potassium 80mg,
- Total Carbohydrates 10.2g, Dietary Fiber 2.4g, Sugars 6.8g, Protein 3.0g
* Nutritional Information provided by caloriecount.about.com